At Dr Jeremy Chan Medical Clinic, we strongly believe that good chronic disease management is key to healthier and more fruitful lives. This also helps in reducing complications if you suffer from a chronic disease like high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, high cholesterol, thyroid problems or lung conditions like asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Our doctors have deep interest in General/Internal Medicine and community GP practice. Through years of training in the public healthcare sector, Dr Jeremy Chan has attained much experience interacting with patients, helping them achieve their personal health goals and targets.
Common key problems which are frequently encountered in chronic disease management include:
- Side effects from multiple medications leading to fear and more health problems.
- Complicated treatment regimes leading to confusion and decreased confidence in the healthcare system.
- Poor knowledge of own personal health due to lack of engagement with healthcare providers.
We aim to tackle these problems by bringing you medications with fewer side effects, spending more time to know your healthcare concerns, and helping you achieve your personal healthcare goals for your chronic disease.
High Blood Pressure (hypertension)
Hypertension or high blood pressure is a common chronic medical condition where the body’s blood pressure is persistently elevated. This condition is also a “silent killer”- meaning patients who suffer from it may appear healthy just like anyone else and lead normal lives. However, if left untreated for years, problems like stroke, heart attacks and kidney failure may result.
About 1 in 4 persons in Singapore age 30 – 69 suffer from high blood pressure. In the age group from 60 – 69, more than half have high blood pressure.
The cause of 95% of hypertension cases is unknown. In about 5% of cases, chronic kidney disease, hormonal problems are some of the causes.
Here @ Dr Jeremy Chan Medical Clinic, we encourage our patients to be screened for hypertension during routine consultation.
For those who suffer from high blood pressure, we offer a range of medications. Each patient with hypertension respond differently to treatment, and we believe that only when treatment is specially tailored for you, then will your condition be properly controlled.
We also have a range of annual and follow-up screening tests for our patients who are treated for hypertension. These tests not only screen for other commonly associated conditions like diabetes mellitus or high cholesterol, but also monitor for any early organ damage from hypertension.
Do email us or walk-in to have a discussion so that we can target treatment and manage your hypertension properly.
High Blood Cholesterol (hyperlipidemia)
Hyperlipidemia or high blood cholesterol refers to excessive or elevated lipids in the bloodstream. Lipids are fatty substances like cholesterol and triglycerides. High blood cholesterol usually does not cause any symptoms. However, when blood levels of cholesterol become too high for too long, they cause atherosclerosis or fatty plaque building up in arteries, giving rise to strokes, heart attacks and even conditions like inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
The following are the few common types of cholesterol:
- Good Cholesterol or HDL (high density lipoproteins): HDL is involved in removing or transferring fat from cells back to the liver, preventing cholesterol build up in the blood vessels and hence lower risk of heart disease
- Bad Cholesterol or LDL (low density lipoproteins): These are smaller fat molecules which can get deposited in blood vessel walls and cause hardening and narrowing of the arteries – a process known as atherosclerosis
- Triglycerides is a form of fat obtained from diet, found commonly in vegetable oil and animal fat (saturated fat). They are also formed in the body after carbohydrate consumption. High triglycerides are commonly associated with long term alcohol intake, diabetes mellitus and cigarette smoking.
Here @ Dr Jeremy Chan Medical Clinic, we offer a range of anti-cholesterol medications and affordable tests to monitor your progress during treatment with us. Do email us or walk-in to have a discussion so that we can target your hyperlipidemia treatment better.
Diabetes mellitus is a medical condition where blood sugar becomes higher than normal. There are two types of diabetes:
- Type 1 or juvenile onset diabetes, where the pancreas stops producing insulin, due to an immune system attack on the pancreas.
- Type 2 or adult onset diabetes or also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) develops when the body does not make enough insulin for use or when there is insulin resistance leading to the body not using insulin effectively
The 4 common symptoms of diabetes mellitus are:
- Frequent sensation of thirst
- Frequent passage of large amounts of urine
- Frequent tiredness
- Unexplained weight loss
Treatment with diabetes centre around controlling blood sugar levels via dietary and lifestyle habits, together with use of medications and for some even insulin injections. There is also an important need to co-manage high cholesterol and hypertension, which are commonly associated with diabetes mellitus.
Patients with diabetes mellitus frequently require multiple medications for treatment. Here @ Dr Jeremy Chan Medical Clinic, we aim to achieve good control of diabetes using medications tailored for you so that you also experience as few side effects as possible, and at the same time, use medications to protect vital organs like the kidneys and heart, and other organ systems which are frequently affected after long term diabetes.